The federal government recently enacted the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act 2021 (Public Law 117-2) on March 11, 2021. The ARP (ARP ESSER) is the third bill of its kind and follows the CARES Act (ESSER Fund) and CRRSA Act (ESSER II Fund) providing additional funding for improvements to indoor air quality in school facilities and school buses.
Likes it’s predecessors, ARP ESSER funds may be used to develop strategies and implement public health protocols including, to the greatest extent practicable, policies in line with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on reopening and operating schools to effectively maintain the health and safety of students, educators, and other staff. These include repairing and improving school facilities to reduce risk of virus transmission and exposure to environmental health hazards and improving indoor air quality.
Why focus on school buses?
School buses are densely populated, buildings on wheels and represent one of the highest risk areas within any school facility. They transport over 25 million students to and from school each day and play a critical role in the daily operations, and reopening efforts, of many schools. Cleaning the air on occupied school buses is essential to keeping students safe and mitigating the spread of airborne pathogens like SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza, as buses are a direct link between schools and the community at large.
Lumin-Air can help school systems address opportunities for improved indoor air quality across their facility footprint, including on their buses, by integrating the latest recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
Lumin-Air engineered Lumin-19, a retrofit for existing school buses, that safely uses UVC and high efficiency filtration in an enclosure to continuously clean and filter the air that is recirculated in an occupied school bus.
- Lumin-19 helps combat the primary mode of transmission for airborne viruses like SARS-CoV-2 and Influenza that are not readily dealt with via the use of potentially harmful chemicals, sprays and other agents.
- Lumin-19 can accommodate any sized school bus with or without an existing HVAC system.
- Trained technicians perform the installation and commissioning of the solution.
- The CDC, in its February 26, 2020 update on Ventilation in Schools, says,
- Improve the level of air filtration as much as possible without reducing airflow.
- Consider using ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) as a supplement to help inactivate SARS-CoV-2, especially if options for increasing room ventilation are limited.
- UVC has been used safely for decades to inactivate harmful pathogens and disinfect air and surfaces.
Lumin-Air schools buses retrofitted with Lumin-19 are available to showcase. Contact us at (866) 586-4619 or email@example.com to schedule a visit and to learn more about how we are improving indoor air quality.
Lumin-Air is committed to improving the air we breathe. Partner with us to increase ventilation, improve filtration, or install ultraviolet germicidal irradiation to kill harmful pathogens and viruses as recommended by the CDC and ASHRAE to help prevent the spread of harmful pathogens and viruses like Covid-19.